We have this giant dining room in our new house and nothing to put in it!
After searching craigslist for the past couple weeks, Trent and I ran across this little breakfast nook. It was in pretty rough shape, but we loved the potential!
Here is what it looked like when we purchased it:
We sanded it down, which took a lot longer than expected. There are so many pieces to this set!
Here is the top of the table after sanding.
Then started the long process of priming.
I got a pretty sweet sunburn from being out there for so long.
Next was paint. Here is where I made the worst decision ever....I painted everything an exterior paint in a matte finish. SO DUMB OF ME!!!!!!
This means that it took a million times longer to dry, it scratched easily due to the matte finish and it came off if you took a wet rag to it. Apparently exterior paint is "not supposed to be rubbed." I literally could not have picked a worse paint.
On the bright side, it sure did look good from a distance! :-)
I had to get a specific protectant that worked with exterior paint. Annoying. I also had to do several layers of it because it showed up extremely streaky against the matte finish.
To be honest, it could use about 3 more coats of the protectant, just to rid the streaky-ness, but by my 3rd coat I was DONE messing with it.
Here is Trent putting it all together.
And the final product! I cannot tell you how many hours I spent on this thing sanding, priming, and painting layers of paint and protectant. I learned a LOT through this project.
I am just thrilled that it is usable and DONE!
Here is a before and after:
All in all, I think the hours of work were worth it. I just may want to wait a year or so to tackle another big project like this again.